Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tuesday-Antwerp Day 4,309

My love affair with Antwerp officially ended today. Kyle had to go to the plant extra early today so I didn't get up and go to breakfast with him. I decided to sleep in and I slept past breakfast. He got back to the hotel about 11 am and he had to do his monthly closing for work in the hotel so I decided to go out exploring the city.

I went out and took the bus down to the outdoor market and grab some lunch. I took the bus down and the outdoor market that looked so interesting from the bus last week turned out to be a big dud. It was mostly underwear sales and lots of vegetables. I love veggies as much as the next guy but there's really not a lot of fun of making a picnic lunch out of a big bunch of leeks and some onions. I walked around for a few minutes then went into a few of the shops nearby. None of the shops were particularly interesting so I started to head back to the hotel.

I walked back to the bus stop and went to the other side of the street (another thing I've learned, if you want to go back to your original destination you have to get on the bus on the other side of the street, I'm so well versed in public transportation now) and waited and waited and waited. There were about 4-5 other people standing there waiting too. It was then that someone noticed a sign taped to the bus stop about 3 inches from the ground that said the bus was going to be on a different route for a few days. This is what I figured out from their wild hand gestures and the strange loud discussion that commenced. Apparently it said there was another bus stop it would be stopping at but it was several blocks away. Several of the people started walking the same direction so I stalked them to the new bus stop. I was waiting for bus 22 but I finally gave up and just got on a bus going to the Centraal Station. I knew that I could get back to the hotel on bus 17 that left from the Centraal Station.

I was also out of bus tickets and picking up another bus card is easy to do at Centraal Station. A single ride (with transfers good for 1 hour) is $1.60 if you buy it when you get on the bus. At the Centraal Station you can get a ticket good for 10 rides for $8.00. I walked around the Centraal Station and finally found a cafe to grab some lunch. I was starving. It was about 2pm and I hadn't had anything since dinner about 8 pm on Monday night.

I finally got back to the hotel around 3 and Kyle, aka lazy bum, was taking a nap instead of working. We were supposed to go do laundry when I got back because I thought he would be done working by then. Instead he napped and I got to go do laundry by myself. We had passed a laundry mat on the bus and I was just going to have him go drop me off at the laundry in the car. He claims not to remember the exact bus route and thought it would just be easier if I took the bus and a 40 pound suitcase filled with stinky dirty clothes. So I took my happy little self and my huge suitcase of stinky clothes and got on the bus. The bus stop nearest to the laundry mat is only about 3 blocks away. But they are very very very very very very long blocks.

Another thing I learned today: Luggage wheels do not roll easily over cobblestones.

I got to the laundry mat and I had to first purchase some detergent from the vending machine on the wall. I really have no idea at all what I washed our clothes in. I could have washed them in Anthrax for all I know. I stuck with the powder since I figured I probably wouldn't bleach out our black clothes too badly with powder instead of liquid. I bought 2 different kinds of detergent in hopes that not both of them were bleach. I got some really strange looks from the other people in there when I opened both packages of laundry detergent and started sniffing them to try to make an educated guess of which detergent to put in with my whites and which to put in with my darks.

I then got the fun of trying to figure out how to work the machines. All the washers are front loading washing machines and luckily they had 2 of the extra large capacity washers so I could just get away with doing 2 loads, one dark and one white. I stuffed our laundry into 2 washers (they were $7 each load so I was trying to get away with as few loads as possible) and noticed that there wasn't a spot to put money in them. On the wall was the machine that controls all the washers and dryers in the whole place. You add your money and then you select which machine you want, which wash or dry cycle and then push start on that machine, go push start on your washer or dryer then return to the control machine to retrieve any left over money. Oh, and did I mention all the instructions were in Dutch?!?! Luckily those words weren't to difficult to figure out. The word for wash started with W and the one for dry started with D. There was some medieval torture device or ironing table or something that some lady was running a sheet through. I'm not sure exactly what it was or how to use it so I just stayed as far away from it as possible.

Europeans for the most part don't use air-conditioning like we do. When we turn on our air at home we expect it to cool things down. Here they just cool it enough that you won't die of heat exhaustion. The laundry mat was not air conditioned at all. It was really really pleasant in there too. It was a 12x20 room filled with about 15 washers and 15 dryers (mostly all going), a scary rolling hot iron device and no windows. The good news is not only did I get our laundry done I lost 37 pounds doing it.

When our laundry was finally done some 2 hours later (they have a nice little soak built into the middle of the wash cycle) I got to pack it all back up into my luggage and drag it back down the cobblestone sidewalk to the bus stop. I finally got back to the hotel just as LazyButt was finishing up his work and we invited John to head down to the Centraal Station to grab some dinner.

We head back out to my beloved bus and wait again and head to Centraal Station. We get there and walk around a bit and we decide to go to the Windsor Restaurant. They had a nice set-up outside and it seemed somewhat busy. We should have known to just leave when we sat there for about 10-15 minutes before the snooty waiter even acknowledged us to give us menu's or take a drink order.

We order and John and I both order steaks and girly man orders shrimp. Turns out Girly-Man was the smartest of us all. We get our steaks about 45 minutes later and my steak which is supposed to be cooked medium is so past well done it's stringy and tough and tastes like shoe leather. Not just any ordinary shoe leather but shoe leather that's been worn while cleaning out a pig barn. I take one bite of it and decide there is absolutely no way that this steak can be eaten. John tastes his steak and he is just as repulsed as I am. They insisted on cooking me another steak and it came out cooked better but still tasting like the inside of a septic tank. I decided to just stick with my fries and when we left the restaurant there were 2 completely untouched steaks at our table. The snooty waiter insisted that the steaks were fresh today and they are very very tasty. I suppose we maybe didn't read the menu correctly and we somehow ordered the goat testicle steaks or something.

So I ended up having a very yummy warm waffle with 2 scoops of gelato for dinner instead. I was really missing the kids so badly today as well. I'm kinda tired of being in this city . We've seen most everything and while Antwerp is a nice city it's not a city I'd suggest visiting for 10 days!!! I keep really trying not to think about the kids too much. A few days ago I hit something on the Garmin and it popped up that I'm 7,400 miles from home. I know the kids are in great hands with my parents and when we do talk to them they tell us what a fun time they are having. In fact, they are normally too busy to even really want to talk to us. I'm so unbelievably appreciative that Kyle's mom kept the kids for a few days last week and that my parents are keeping them for over 2 weeks while we are over here. I'm fairly certain I may have to visit my parents in the loony bin when we get home (not only do they have my 10,8 and 4 year old they lost their minds and invited my sisters 4 & 5 year olds too).

When we got back to the hotel John couldn't get back to his room fast enough. I think my rough day of fighting buses, strange Dutch languages, stupid washing machines, hot weather and the fact that you can't get a drink larger than 7 oz here was getting to me.

Other things I've learned in the past few days:
There are several dialects to the Dutch language. The further North you go the heavier the Flemish dialect is. The proper spelling of Flemish is actually Phlegmish. They call it this because in the majority of the words you sound like you are trying to cough up a fur ball. It is possibly the un-sexiest of all languages in the world. Even Kyle commented that even the most beautiful woman in the world could not make Flemish sound sexy. I've begun referring to Dutch as "I wanna HokaLoogie" language.

ManPri's are just stupid. There is this crazy obsession here with men wearing capri pants. I'm not talking the long board shorts like the guys at home wear I'm talking full out man capri-s. Men wearing capri's should be taken out and shot. There is no amount of hotness of man that can handle wearing manpri's.

Socks with sandals just looks stupid. It looks even stupider if you happen to be wearing manpri's.

Women lose their minds over here and do crazy things with their hair. I've seen probably 30 women who have at least part of their heads shaved down to a buzz cut then have ponytails off some part of their head. There are also a ton of women with dreadlocks. Blond hair in dreadlocks is not an attractive look. Apparently Europe did not get the memo that the Mullet has been banned by the UN as causing you to look like you're an in-breed and confused about your sexuality. Just say "NO" to Mulletting. Please write to your local European governments and request that they put a stop to these horrible hair-do's. They are making all us humans who walk fully upright look like crazy over-achievers.

1 comment:

heather said...

You are killing me!!! Sounds like you guys are having a great trip